Senior Technical Writer – Courseware Developer, January – April 2013 (Contract)
Technical Editor, July – December 2012 (Contract)
Lead Technical Editor and Courseware Developer, June 2011 – May 2012 (Contract)
Senior Technical Editor, October 2009 – January 2011
- Quality assurance of Component Maintenance Manuals and Illustrated Parts Lists for several aerospace companies.
- Undertaking structural and substantive editing, copy editing and proofreading, I improved the overall quality and adherence to technical accuracy of the work of an internationally‐distributed team.
Bombardier Aerospace, Business Aircraft, Service Engineering
Technical Editor, June 2007 – September 2009 (Contract)
- Edited and published Service Bulletins and Vendor Service Bulletin Cover Letters that ensured critical maintenance and repair issues were communicated clearly.
- Maintained Service Bulletin Indices for seven aircraft programs in parallel.
- Edited Advisory Wires and Forum Newsletter articles written by department personnel to ensure clarity, consistency and accuracy.
- Standardized linguistic issues within the department.
- Created and conducted numerous three‐day ASD‐STE100 Simplified Technical English writing courses for technical writers and engineers. These courses improved documentation throughout the department.
Consultant, February 2009 – December 2012
- Consulted on various projects for ASD‐STE100 Simplified Technical English dictionary development for HyperSTE software.
- Conducted several ASD‐STE100 Simplified Technical English courses in the Netherlands, the U.S.A, and the Russian Federation.
Oerlikon Contraves (Rheinmetal)
Technical Writer/QA Editor, December 2006 – April 2007 (Contract)
- Revised SAGEM Sperwer UAV technical manuals for the Department of National Defence.
Appendix Technical Publications Group
Technical Editor, August 2003 – December 2006
- Structural and substantive editing, copy editing and proofreading of aerospace technical manuals for Honeywell (Department of National Defence) and Bell Helicopter.
Lexis Editing Services
Freelance Editor/Writer/Trainer 2002 – Present
Consulting, and freelance/contract technical writing, technical editing, and Simplified Technical English (ASD-STE100) training.
Clients have included:
- Argos Translations
- Bombardier Transportation
- Bombardier Aerospace
- Ian Martin
- Prospero Learning Solutions
- Tedopres International (Etteplan)
- NPO Saturn
- Beriev Aircraft Company
- American Airlines
- ATK Aerospace Systems
- Soucy International
- Neuralitic Systems
- Oerlikon Contraves (Rheinmetal)
- The Editors’ Association of Canada
- Réseau Medisca Networks Inc.
- The Jane Goodall Institute
- CLSC Réne-Cassin
- D-Zign S.A.B.
ASD Simplified Technical English Maintenance Group (STEMG)
Committee Member 1995 – 2002
Served as the Canadian representative on the committee that maintained the specification, which was originally knows as AECMA Simplified English (SE). This specification is currently called ASD Simplified Technical English (ASD-STE100). During that time, actively participated in several revisions and updates of the specification.
Bombardier Aerospace (Business Aircraft) – Technical Publications
Technical Editor, July 1995 – October 2002
- Edited AMMs. Assisted writers with all grammar and style queries as well as with the rewriting of existing material into Simplified Technical English.
- Wrote ETPS development requirements for an electronic Simplified Technical English grammar checker and a cautions and warnings database for the ETPS. Assisted the developers in maintaining and upgrading the SE software and the Cautions/Warnings database by reporting problems and new requirements, and testing prototypes and new versions.
- Reduced the turnaround time for the request and approval process for new caution and warning entities from several weeks to 1‐2 working days.
- Wrote and presented many seminars on Simplified English and the requirements of the Cautions and Warnings database at Supplier Conferences, which led to greater compliance to departmental writing standards.
- As Cautions and Warnings Coordinator, worked closely with writers to rewrite hundreds of cautions and warnings for the Global Express and Challenger programs in order to meet AECMA SE specifications (now ASD‐STE100).
- Edited/rewrote and organized cautions and warnings in an ETPS database.
- Served as the Canadian National Coordinator (1998 to 2002) on the AECMA Simplified English Maintenance Group (SEMG) and participated in two revisions of the SE specification. Also served as the Bombardier Aerospace Business Aircraft representative on the ATA/AIA Simplified English Task Group (SETG).
- Created an in-house glossary and dictionary of approved technical terminology, greatly reducing the use of unapproved spellings and synonyms.
- Prepared job descriptions and task analysis documentation for departmental ISO procedures and certification.
- Organized the first Canadian meeting of the combined Canada‐USA ATA/AIA Simplified English Task Group (SETG) in Montreal.
- Participated in extensive Y2K testing of the ETPS.
- Platforms — PC MS‐Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX
- Software — Adept Editor, Epic Editor, InterLeaf, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, WordPerfect, PageMaker, BSEC, HyperSTE Standards and Specifications — XML, SGML, AMTOSS, ATA 100/2100/2200, DND C‐01‐100‐100/AG‐006, ASD‐STE100 (Simplified Technical English), and ASD S1000D
- Languages — English, French and Greek.
Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- Montreal Chapter President 2008‐2009
- Montreal Chapter Vice‐President 2007‐2008
Editors’ Association of Canada (EAC)
- Vice‐Chair of the Quebec/Atlantic Branch of the EAC (2003 – 2004)
- Treasurer of the Quebec/Atlantic Branch of the EAC (1999 – 2000)
Plain Language Association International (PLAIN)
- Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal (Canadian Militia)
- Quebec Federation of Home and School Associations ‐ Award of Merit
- BA Honours, Classical Studies and English Literature, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec
- DEC ‐ Social Studies , Vanier College, Montreal, Quebec